Mold making is yet another thing I’ve had tons of interest in for a long time, but have never really done much of it. The one occasion that I tried it out was to make some climbing holds, which worked surprisingly well, actually. I was able to find everything I needed at inventables.com so I decided to give it a go.
I was surprised at how well it worked on the first try. Although the mold wasn’t perfect, and the cast wasn’t either, they were both really close.. and for my purposes, good enough. Having done some research, I found that having a vacuum chamber (I have to see if I can make one of THOSE) is hugely beneficial for removing the air bubbles from both the molding and casting materials.
Check out my process below, and if you have more experience with silicone molds, please leave some tips and tricks in the comments below!